My first BlackBerry 10 app

Meetup for BlackBerry10

I just updated my first BlackBerry 10 application; Meetup for BlackBerry 10.

I was attempting to get the app released by a deadline in order to win a free Z10 in Red.  The offer was to be one of the first 500 developers to build an app and then get it certified as Built for BlackBerry in a certain time frame.   Well, I didn’t get it submitted in time, because there is a big delay between getting your app submitted and getting it reviewed; then apparently there is a delay for getting Built for BlackBerry certified.  Because I rushed things, it didn’t work that great in version 1.0, which resulted in a couple of bad reviews.  My main problem was finding the time to work on the application, which is hard when you have a less than year old son and a pregnant wife.  Then life threw me another curve and I lost my job.  So, I have been working on fixing a couple of issues with the 1.0 release and adding new features.

One of the bugs 1.o had was that the UTC offset for the events was not correct.  I tried just adding the long value to the date to get the correct date and time, but that didn’t work.  The solution was simple and I guess if I had more time to look at things I would have noticed it the first time.  The fix is to use setUtcOffset .  D’uh.


QDateTime tmpEventStartDT = QDateTime::currentDateTime();
tmpEventStartDT.setMSecsSinceEpoch(query.value("eventDate").toLongLong());
tmpEventStartDT.setUtcOffset(utcOffsetSeconds);

Another issue happened to due with how Meetup did repeating events.  Instead of using an Integer for each new event, repeating events have an alphanumeric value.  Because I was looking for an Integer, none of the repeating events were showing up after the first event.  I didn’t even notice this in version 1.0 and I finally noticed it after I made some clean up to the events list and noticed that not all the events were showing up.  It took a bit of effort to get that debug cleared.

The major flaw of the 1.0 version was that it didn’t show the Event or Group detail.  The reason I left it as a link was the lack of time in figuring out a way to show the event detail easily.  I haven’t messed with Sheets yet, but I ended up using Tabs to display the Event information, plus the RSVP and Photos list.  I did use a Sheet to show the final individual photo for an photo album.  But, with that there are still limitations.  I need to figure out how to zoom in on a photo.

The Information pages, photo albums and RSVP lists are all new features for 1.1, but they still need to be tweaked.  But, just as a fussy baby is rushing me on this post, hopefully I will get around to making more tweaks to what is available and add even more features.

 

UPDATE :

I got the approval email for my update.  So, it took about 2 days to approve the changes.  Now I modified the description and screen shots, because I didn’t think I should do it before the change was updated.  Hopefully it takes less time to modify those things.  I didn’t realize that it wasn’t automatically updating things, so I mistakenly created 3 updates in an attempt to get the text and screen shot changes to save.  Oh well, lessons learned.

About DeanLogic
Dean has been playing around with programming ever since his family got an IBM PC back in the early 80's. Things have changed since BASICA and Dean has dabbled in HTML, JavaScript, Action Script, Flex, Flash, PHP, C#, C++, J2ME and SQL. On this site Dean likes to share his adventures in coding. And since programming isn't enough of a time killer, Dean has also picked up the hobby of short film creation.

About DeanLogic

Dean has been playing around with programming ever since his family got an IBM PC back in the early 80's. Things have changed since BASICA and Dean has dabbled in HTML, JavaScript, Action Script, Flex, Flash, PHP, C#, C++, J2ME and SQL. On this site Dean likes to share his adventures in coding. And since programming isn't enough of a time killer, Dean has also picked up the hobby of short film creation.