This is my second update this month for Meetup for BlackBerry 10. At the beginning of the month (May 4th), I relased 4.2.4 which were some quick fixes to solve an issue with the latest version of BB10 and the HTML content. Apparently, at some point after 10.2 release, the Dark Theme and HTML content in a Rich Text editor start publishing white text on white background. This made reading Event and Group descriptions useless. The only fix was to remove the Dark Theme. Also, I hadn’t completely revamped my application look based on the change to my logo in release 1.2.2. So, let’s catch up to why the release version is 4.2.5.
After the changes in 1.2.2, I made some quick fixes to the Support screen in the app. It wasn’t providing me with the information it should be and I also added the Device Info as part of the default text. This allowed me to see what device and OS version the user was on so I could skip one step of debugging.
I also removed the “Alt” option for the keyboard shortcuts. Back in the old BlackBerry days, there was an “Alt” key on the keyboard, this is no longer the case and it was causing some headaches trying to use that to do shortcuts for the app.
Between the time I made those changes and the time I had to make a few updates, BlackBerry changed the Vendor Portal. In the old Vendor Portal, you would upload the file, specify the release number and the build number, then check on the check boxes and ect. to get the release ready for review. In the new Vendor Portal, you upload (drag and drop) the bar file and it figures out the build/release version from the bar file. YES! Unfortunately, I had made a mistake on the release or build numbers a while back and they all started with 4. The mistake was partially due to BlackBerry auto sequencing the number for each release, even if it wasn’t a major release. In order to get my release to be accepted, I had to use a number higher than the last build/release version from the old system. Hence, why I went from 1.2.3 to 4.2.4 for some minor UI fixes. Ugh!! Not good, BlackBerry, not good.
Anyway, here I am at 4.2.5, still fixing the UI issues. The first issue is to get off of the Dark Theme, which I am not happy about. Also, the Virtual Machine Simulator doesn’t seem to care, which is why I was having issues with the real world feel. Then I am removing the Meetup red color and putting in the DeanLogic orange colors and making sure everything is visible. Of course, I also had to modify the Active Frame to work with the BlackBerry Passport and Classic. Unfortuantely, I didn’t have the time to get my VM Simulator working with the Classic, so I am only guessing that I sized that correctly (to do list for later). Finally, I adjusted the heights of the list items, so they weren’t as scrunched up, as a review complained, and easier to read. I had initially made the list items small thinking that more on a screen is better than a bunch of scrolling. I guess some people prefer to scroll. Also, things looked a bit off on the Passport.
Hopefully I have everything looking correctly across devices. There are other features I would like to add to the app, but I have another app waiting in the wings to release and not a lot of time to work on it.
*** bug fixes ***
- Fixed issue with App Support Help not auto-filling subject
- Removed ‘Alt’ portion of shortcut keys to allow Passport users to navigate
*** features ***
- Added Device Info as part of the auto-fill information in the body of the App Support Help email
*** bug fixes ***
- Version number changed due to new Vendor Portal bar checking method
- Removed Dark Theme in order to fix issue with description text not being visible
- General adjustment of items on lists for fit and finish
*** bug fixes ***
- Fixed font colors missed during Dark Theme removal
- Fixed Active Frame support for Passport
- Modified content spacing on Feed page
- Modified content spacing on Groups page
- Modified content spacing on Events page
- Modified Event Info background color
- Modified chat bubble color
- Set Text for UTF-8 in order to hopefully fix some lingering text output issues