WordPress has been making more updates lately than a backstage of a Las Vegas review. Since the automatic update hasn’t worked in a few attempts, I have been forced to update manually by finding the files that are updated and uploading them to the site. Hopefully I am finding all the files and doing all the updates. I guess when they do their next big release, I’ll do a complete update of all of the files just to be on the safe side.
One issue with the updates is that if you create plugins, like I do, then you have to verify that your plugin works with the new update. This usually isn’t a difficult task when you have a demo page on your site. Just go to the page and see if it still works. That was the step I took with my Mixed Tape plugin. However, as a plugin creator, you aren’t done there. In order for someone to feel a little more comfortable about your plugin, you have to keep the “Tested up to:” version up-to-date. Updating this information on your plugin requires an update to the “readme.txt” file and then a checkin to the source control database. Apparently I’m getting better at it, because I am not reloading the files up multiple times.
What prompted me to make my plugins compliant with the new version of WP was a suggestion in my forum about a change to the WP People plugin. The user wanted to customize the title or hover text on the link to the WP People bio. I thought that was a great idea and now I found a little time to tackle the request. While I was coding away, I changed the code around to work a little more like a plugin I made for 9/12 Candidates. And, I also removed the table html that creates the layout for the form. The changes aren’t major, but they weren’t minor either. Hopefully it will allow me to do updates to that plugin much easier in the future.
But of course, my two little plugins are free, so I don’t see myself making a living off of WordPress plugins, even though a few developers get some money.