Meetup for BlackBerry 4.2.8 and 4.2.9

I ended up releasing two quick fixes for different bugs. The firs release, 4.2.8, was to fix a simple issue with authentication to the Meetup.com website for the application. A while ago, Meetup changed their API to use a different method for making calls. With this update, they changed the URLs for the calls, which actually made things easier. I had gone through and updated all the URLs for my app at some point and basically forgot about it. I’m guessing that those old URLs were finally deprecated and that shut off the application authentication call that I was pointing to. Luckily for me, one of my users used the in app bug report option and sent me a notification. My guess is, the Authentication documentation is a little bit different than the documentation for all the other calls, so I must have just scrolled through each of the other calls and forgot about the authentication URL. Problem fixed.

After I released 4.2.8, I received another user bug report that the Events tab under the Organization page was opening and then closing. I verified this and started hunting down the reason. I guess I had made some changes months ago to try to add new features to the app and I didn’t completely finish them. The Events tab was setup to call the same events tab from the main screen to prevent duplicating efforts. However, the activity indicator was only setup by the main page and not on the Events list page. Because of this, the Events page under the Organization would crash when it couldn’t find the activity indicator. After a bunch of debugging and puzzled looks, I fixed that issue, but then noticed that not all of the events were loading.

Again, I must have started some changes, but never followed through on completing them. With this last bug, I was loading the multiple calls for events, but I deleted the entire Events table each time before the load. The reason I was doing this was to remove canceled and deleted events and to eliminate old events to save data space. What I needed to do was to check to see if the offset (the start and end of the number of items called) was the first one and if it was, then delete the table. I apparently had started putting that code in, but never completed it. I also added the code for the Groups, in case someone has 100 groups or something.

I also added the ability to refresh the Groups Events list in 4.2.9.

I know there are plenty of features still to add to the Meetup group, but my motivation and time to add them isn’t really there. Between not being as active in my Meetup group and BlackBerry’s almost abandonment of BB10 OS, it is hard to keep working on it. Personally, I enjoyed working on the app and playing around with Cascades and C++, but since it isn’t something I do for money, the motivation just isn’t there. I will keep up the app as long as I can. Maybe things will change with BlackBerry and their BB10 support to breath new energy into my desire to do things with it, but it doesn’t look promising.

About DeanLogic
Dean has been playing around with programming ever since his family got an IBM PC back in the early 80's. Things have changed since BASICA and Dean has dabbled in HTML, JavaScript, Action Script, Flex, Flash, PHP, C#, C++, J2ME and SQL. On this site Dean likes to share his adventures in coding. And since programming isn't enough of a time killer, Dean has also picked up the hobby of short film creation.

About DeanLogic

Dean has been playing around with programming ever since his family got an IBM PC back in the early 80's. Things have changed since BASICA and Dean has dabbled in HTML, JavaScript, Action Script, Flex, Flash, PHP, C#, C++, J2ME and SQL. On this site Dean likes to share his adventures in coding. And since programming isn't enough of a time killer, Dean has also picked up the hobby of short film creation.

Comments are closed.