Getting the Correct Max Date

After I added the dynamic search feature to my “To The Moon” 🚀 Coin Calculator, I noticed that the price of BitCoin (BTC) was not increasing. I knew that it was over USD$9,000 all day, but it was still showing a price just about USD$8,000. When I ran the query in the MySQL database, I noticed that it was pulling back the correct date, but not the correct price. QUERY FAIL!! So, it was off to figure out why my query wasn’t working. To start, I was using the MAX() function to retrieve the latest date added to the table. Continue reading Getting the Correct Max Date

Dynamic Search with PHP, jQuery and AutoComplete

After I created a Cron job using EasyCron to populate my cryptocurrency coin history tables, my next step was to create the capability to search through the 500 coins I had in the database.  The To The Moon! Coin Calculator displays the Top 50 coins by market capitalization rank by default. The search would narrow it down to one coin. I am hoping, that in the next phase, that when the user selects one coin they will get more information than the list of 50. Since I want to prevent errors in retrieving the one coin, the best method is Continue reading Dynamic Search with PHP, jQuery and AutoComplete

Easy to Use EasyCron

I created my first cron job using EasyCron and it was Easy. As part of the second phase of my To The Moon! Coin Calculator, I needed to populate my database with information on a scheduled basis. Since I am using a hosting service that doesn’t have a schedule jobs feature, I looked to a third party app to get it done. EasyCron allows for anyone to create simple cron jobs for free or as a paid service, if you want more functionality. For my needs, the free service works well. I only plan on running my cron job 3 Continue reading Easy to Use EasyCron

Custom Category Icons

I mentioned in my new template post that I might add back the Category images to the posts. Well, I thought I would give it a try, but the first step was to see if something existed in the WordPress Plugin world.  There were a few options, but they either only posted the images on the Category template page or only did one image per post.  And all methods required modifying the template files. So, no go on that, time to re-add my original hack. I had previously created a way to pull up the Category description and image in Continue reading Custom Category Icons

The Demo Site

I have created a Demo site using Dreamweaver.  I used a HTML5 template, because I figure I probably should learn some HTML5 while I am doing this. The first thing I had to do was setup a ftp user on my website and give the user access to the “demo” folder.  To make things simple, I also created a subdomain for the demo folder (http://demo.deanlogic.com).  Unfortunately, the Dreamweaver template is a little finicky and the path url to the image wasn’t correct on my first couple of attempts to drag and drop the image into the page.  Also, the css Continue reading The Demo Site

AHP Sitewide Recent Posts – hack 2.2ish

I received a comment on the main AHP Sitewide Recent Posts hack about having an issue of just displaying the title for the post. The plugin uses a “option code” to determine which items will be displayed for each post. The idea is, you add the value for each option and that total value lets the plugin know which items to show. For example, if you only wanted to show the post name, then the option value would be 32. If you wanted to show the post name and the blog name, then the option value would be 48 (32 Continue reading AHP Sitewide Recent Posts – hack 2.2ish